The brainchild of photographer Brandon Stanton, Humans of New York is an innovative storytelling movement that celebrates unique lives in New York with a snapshot of them and a brief story.
The community has amassed over 14 million Facebook followers and a New York Times best-selling book.
Recently one image of a dad holding his cellphone, with a photo of his daughter on-screen, grabbed my attention and the attention of humans everywhere.
Photo: Brandon Stanton / Humans of New York
“I was 16 when my girlfriend got pregnant. We went to the abortion clinic on 59th Street.
We filled out the papers and everything.
Then right before we were called back, we looked at each other, and said: ‘Let’s get out of here.’”
Image: Jason Howie / Flickr
- Humans everywhere have a heartbeat. One father lamented that the mother of his child chose to abort their baby and that he still listens to the heartbeat they recorded from the womb.
Photo: American Life League / Flickr
- Humans everywhere can take a picture worth a thousand words. Sometimes one of those words is life.
Please pray with me that people everywhere will dare to look at the pictures of their babies developing in the womb and choose life.
- Humans everywhere are capable of accomplishing more than they imagine. Many responded to the post by sharing the harsh difficulty and seemingly impossibility of choosing life until they did.
Photo: Nicolas Alejandro / Flickr
- Humans everywhere are the result of at least one amazing choice their parents made. I am amazed by the number of heartfelt, grateful posts I read that adult children wrote about their parents making difficult decisions to have them.
Dr. David Platt and his wife Heather adopted two of their four children (Photo Courtesy of Platt Family)
- Humans everywhere can choose life, even at the last minute.